Pages

Monday, September 22, 1997

Forget-me-not Cyclo

The Sunday after we got back, we were greeted in the morning by a squeaking “madame, madame, forget-me-not cyclo, forget-me-not cyclo!!” – it was our little friend with the same English speaking partner. They took us around the city, finding whatever we needed. I found a Tin Tin book for my brother (Tin Tin is all over Ho Chi Minh – shirts, paintings, books) and Beth got a little English textbook for her “forget-me-not cyclo”. Later, we visited the Reunification Palace. It was the site of the dramatic end to the war when tanks broke through the gate and soldiers stormed the building. It was definitely worth going – the video they showed was pretty interesting, and the view over the fountain and out through the historic gate is great.

My cyclo driver arranged for his friend to drive us to the airport. When I had pointed out a bunch of vintage American cars around the corner from Kim’s Café the day before, he said his friend owned a metallic green 1972 Chevy Nova, and we thought it would have been fun to cruise to the airport in that beast. As it turned out, the car really motored, and it got us to the airport in no time. We were headed back to Thailand, exactly halfway through our “journey”. Though we had a lot of excitement planned for the coming weeks, I felt like time was slipping by way to fast.

Accommodation $11

Travel $10

Meals and snacks $11

Misc $13

Visa $100

Flight to Bangkok $346

No comments: